Who I Am
My name is Alexis, and I use she/her or they/them pronouns. Just like this website, my life is chock-full of love and code, and I like to share as much of both as I can. With those things I hope to make the world a better place, even if just a little.
Love as Input
Here's a few things I love
I love to read, and usually go through about 50-60 books a year. These days I mostly do audiobooks, a habit I picked up from when I used to have long commutes
Going to Broadway shows is one of my favorite ways to spend a night out. I'm especially a sucker for a wicked good musical.
For a night in, playing games with friends or my partner is just a wonderful way to spend time. And I play games of both the board and video varieties.
It took a long time for me to come to terms with myself, but I've finally learned to love myself. So much so, that I wrote myself (and the world) a letter about it.
Coding as Output
Sometimes it's most rewarding to work on little projects for myself. Beyond this site, here's a few things I am working on now, or have worked on in the past, that I absolutely love.
- Lovely Inbox
- Desktop email client built on a simple principle: bring out the love.
- It's a Blizzard Out There
- Made during a very hot summer, this microsite creates a small snowstorm for you.
- Weather Icon Microservice
- A very small microservice that shows an icon based on the weather at the user's location.
In addition to code that I do just for me, I also code for a living. Here are just some of the places I've worked, and some of the projects I've worked on.
- Khan Academy
- I get to help folks all over the world learn by working on all the different layers of the site and systems, focusing on performance and reliability.
- I got to design and develop a full service SaaS product for employee growth from the ground up.
- I learned from an amazing team of people as I did QE, devops, and product development work (including making a fun easter egg).